Information on Volunteers, CIT and Counsellors
We are so excited that you want to spend the summer with us!
This page outlines all the information you need about our programs and how to apply.
Explorer Hop is small but mighty and we have created a learning experience for our volunteers, CIT and Counsellors that helps them learn, grow their skills and makes it easier for them to get bigger jobs in the future.
This page is designed to answer some questions you may have.
How do I become an Explorer Hop Counsellors?
Everyone at Explorer Hop (including our corporate office staff) start off as interns / volunteers. This gives everyone an opportunity to see if we can work together. It also provides a gentle way for our new team members to absorb our very unique (and at times extremely chaotic) culture.
- In order to be a volunteer you must have attended a summer program or volunteered in an after school program.
- All Counsellors start off as Volunteers. A minimum of 2 weeks volunteering at camp is needed.
- Volunteers are essential to our camps and we take much pride in ensuring they are having a good learning experience.
- Volunteer positions are unpaid and all volunteers are expected to work from 9.00am - 3.00pm on camp days.
- We strongly suggest that you volunteer for one year, come back as CIT the next, and then as Counsellors the year after.
- Counsellor in Training roles are available for youth who are currently in Grades 8-10.
- CITs are expected to learn the ropes of what is needed to be a counsellors. Not only do they learn about our programs, but also learn conflict resolution, health and safety procedures and so much more. Unlike other camps, CITs receive real responsibility and even get to make fun choices - like pick the colour we tie dye our shirts every week!
- Since this is a training position, CITs are paid $250 /week .
- All CITs are expected to report for work at 8am to go through morning briefing and end at 4.00pm once our end of day meetings are over.
- In order to ensure that we are able to train the CITs, we only have 1-2 CITs during any week at Camp.
- You require a minimum of 1 summer (minimum 2 weeks) of CIT before you are eligible to be a Counsellor
Counsellor: From June 2020, all Counsellors need to be between the ages of 15-30 to meet requirements from the Canadian Government and our insurance company!
- All counsellors need to complete at least 2 weeks of CIT before becoming Counsellors.
- Should be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or accepted as a refugee
- Should have a SIN number
- Should have police check (if over the age of 18)
- Should intend to continue working with Explorer Hop after the summer is over in some capacity.
- Should be able and willing to work every camp day for the weeks they are hired, from 8.00am - 6.00pm.
We only hire 1-2 Counsellors per week of Camp.
Please complete the following form and submit it. We will review all applications and get back to you before March 31, 2020. Please note that we have received tremendous response this year. We are still a very small camp and due to the size are only able to hire a few staff during summer.